Lend a hand!
We simply couldn’t do what we do without the help of volunteers. Whether lending a hand at our events, helping out at a bag pack, or training to become one of our volunteer speakers – we’ll help find the right role for you.
How do I apply?
If you like the look of one or more of the volunteering roles we offer, get in touch to request a more detailed role description and an application form. We’ll invite you for a short informal interview to talk about where your skills can best be used to help us.
We do not accept volunteers under the age of 16 unless they are accompanied by a parent and the volunteering role is age appropriate.
Volunteers will receive all necessary training and we will reimburse out of pocket expenses. You will be welcomed to volunteer events such as information evenings to keep you up to date with our activities and how your support is making a difference.
If you want to offer your time in a way that isn’t covered here, please get in touch. There may be ways that you can help us that we haven’t thought of yet!
Help us with our upcoming events
We have a number of events over the next few months which we need volunteers for. Please email Rebecca at email@example.com or call 0131 668 4949 if you can help.
On-going volunteering roles:
Collection Can Volunteer
We have a network of volunteers who distribute and collect our collection cans from shops and businesses throughout Edinburgh, the Lothians, Borders and Fife. If you have your own means of transport, enjoy meeting new people in your community and would like to contribute a few hours each month to helping ECHC raise funds, why not get in touch?
Bag Packing and Bucket Collections
- Saturday 8th June - M&S Bag Pack - The Gyle Shopping Centre. A team of 20 is needed to help customers pack their bags, collect money and have fun engaging with the public.
- Sunday 9th June - Tesco Bucket Collection - Tesco Colinton. A team of 4 is needed to engage with the public, whilst collecting pennies.
- Saturday 15th June - Fun Day - The Gyle Shopping Centre. A team of 15 is needed to help with our ECHC stalls, including Face Painting!
- Tuesday 2nd August - Friday 26th August - Festival Collections at The Gilded Balloon. Volunteers are needed to collect at the end of these performances.
- Sunday 25th August - Tesco Bucket Collection - Edinburgh Hermiston Gait. A team of 4 is needed to engage with the public, whilst collecting pennies.
- Saturday 26th October - Halloween Fun Day - Fort Kinnaird. A team of 10 volunteers are needed to help with the ECHC collection, Face Painting and fancy dress.
- Saturday 30th November and Sunday 1st December - Christmas Collection - Fort Kinnaird. A team of 10 volunteers are needed to help with the ECHC collection, Face Painting and fancy dress.
- Throughout December - Christmas at The Dome. We're looking for teams of four volunteers who could support a choir or music group performing on the steps of The Dome. We have three 2-hour slots from 1st-24th December. We'd love for you to join us and enjoy the music whilst collecting money from the public.
We have the opportunity to collect at events, theatre performances, at supermarket tills, football matches and many more. We want to make the most of these valuable opportunities, and your support is vital. (See above for upcoming collections).
- Saturday 25th May - EMF - Holyrood Park. We are looking for a team of 4 volunteers to join us at Holyrood Park to help cheer on all of our amazing ECHC runners.
- Sunday 26th May - EMF - Pinkie Park, Musselburgh. We are looking for a team of 4 volunteers to help us hand out snacks and refreshments to our ECHC runners. A Face Painting Volunteer is needed.
- Sunday 7th July - Abseil - South Queensferry. A team of 2 volunteers are needed to help cheer on all of our ECHC participants. We are also looking for 2 Face Painting volunteers to join us on the day!
- Sunday 15th September - Edinburgh Kiltwalk - Murrayfield. We're looking for 3 volunteers to help cheer on our ECHC walkers as they cross the finish line!
- Sunday 22nd September - Scottish Half Marathon - Musselburgh Race Course. A team of 4 volunteers are needed to help us hand out snacks and refreshments to our ECHC runners. A Face Painting volunteer is needed!
Essential qualities for volunteering at events are energy and enthusiasm. We need people willing to lend their hand to all sorts: setting up, serving refreshments, face painting and manning fundraising stalls. We are always looking for friendly folk to help out at sports challenges, our own events including evening events such as the Girly Get Together and All Wrapped Up for Christmas. And as a fundraising event volunteer, you can decide how often you want to commit your time. (See above for upcoming events)
Schools and Nurseries Volunteer
If you have experience of working with children and are a confident at talking to a group, why not think about becoming one of our schools and nurseries volunteers? You'd be helping to prepare children for what to expect if they ever have to go to hospital as well as talking about the work of Edinburgh Children's Hospital Charity.
We're looking for confident public speakers to help raise awareness of ECHC in the community. You'll be trained up to give engaging talks to groups such as rotaries, church guilds and SWRIs. We'll make sure you have everything you need to share information about our work and encourage fundraising.
Our office volunteers come in on a regular basis to help out with various admin tasks from counting money and data processing.
ECHC Hospital Shop Volunteers
If you have been in the hospital recently, you will have noticed the fantastic changes that have taken place in our hospital shop. We have expanded the range of products we sell with the needs of families and staff in mind. We rely on a team of volunteers to help us keep the shop open by being welcoming and friendly while serving customers at the till and restocking the shelves. If this sounds like you then please get in touch!
Volunteering in the hospital
The volunteering opportunities we offer provide help to the fundraising team at Edinburgh Children's Hospital Charity – these don’t include roles within the hospital.
If you are looking to volunteer within the hospital itself, please visit the volunteering page for NHS Lothian. All hospital volunteers are required to be 16 and over and commit to a minimum of two hours per week for at least 6 months.